We’re heading into the holidays and for many that means traveling to visit family. If you’re planning to head out of town you’ll want to take steps to protect your home and your possessions while you’re gone. These 10 tips will help ensure everything is safe and sound when you return.
- Have someone collect your mail and newspaper daily.
- Leave shades and blinds in normal positions.
- Put at least two lights and a radio on automatic timers.
- Have someone leave trash at your curb on garbage collection day.
- Have someone park a car in your driveway occasionally. If you leave your car outside, arrange to have it moved every so often.
- Leave a key with a trusted neighbor in case of an emergency. Let the neighbor know where you are going and when you expect to return, also leave them a way to get in contact with you in case of an emergency.
- Lock all windows and doors before you go. Do not forget to double-check basement and garage doors.
- On extended trips have someone to maintain your landscaping, (grass mowed, leaves raked, etc.)
- Consider turning off your home’s water main to prevent damage from a burst pipe.
- Be careful how much you check-in on social media while on vacation. If your privacy settings are incorrect you might reveal to strangers your home is vacant!
Safe travels, hopefully this will help offer you peace of mind while you’re away!